गुरुवार, 20 मई 2010

To my granddaughters





.
To my granddaughters who visited the Holocaust
Museum on the day of the burial of Yitzhak Rabin
.
Now you know the worst
we humans have to know
about ourselves, and I am sorry,
.
for I know that you will be afraid.
To those of our bodies given
without pity to be burned, I know
.
there is no answer
but loving one another,
even our enemies, and this is hard.
.
But remember:
when a man of war becomes a man of peace,
he gives a light, divine
.
though it is also human.
When a man of peace is killed
by a man of war, he gives a light.
.
You do not have to walk in darkness.
If you will have the courage for love,
you may walk in light. It will be
.
the light of those who have suffered
for peace. It will be
your light.
.
~ Wendell Berry
.
(from: A Timbered Choir)
.
Share: