मंगलवार, 15 जून 2010

excerpt from: The Last Rites of the Bokononist Faith




.
.
God made mud. 
God got lonesome. 
So God said to some of the mud, "Sit up!" 
"See all I've made," said God, "the hills, the sea, the sky, the stars."
.
And I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around. 
Lucky me, lucky mud.
.
I, mud, sat up and saw what a nice job God had done. 
Nice going, God. 
Nobody but you could have done it, God! I certainly couldn't have. 
I feel very unimportant compared to You. 
The only way I can feel the least bit important is to think of all the mud
that didn't even get to sit up and look around. 
I got so much, and most mud got so little. 
Thank you for the honor!
.
Now mud lies down again and goes to sleep. 
What memories for mud to have! 
What interesting other kinds of sitting-up mud I met! 
I loved everything I saw! 
Good night. 
.
~ Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
(Cat's Cradle)
.
Share: